Duett 65 renoveringsobjekt

Skapa en egen tråd för din bil, och håll oss uppdaterade med nya bilder och info allt eftersom.

Moderatorer: Amarace, _hagitch_, Templa-544B

Duett 65 renoveringsobjekt

Inläggav TUN-40 » 16 01 06, 1:34

Hi, my name is Ville, from Finland and this is my first post. This is me with these funny lookin ear protectors:
Bild
Sorry for writing in english. I understand a littlebit svenska, but to avoid all mistakes in writing I will write in english. You can answer in svenska, I will try to understand and hopefully learn something at the same time. This is the oldest pic I could find, its taken 1967-68, and the person in the pic is my aunt, same årsmodell :D
Bild
So, to the car. This is 1965 Duett, P210E that my grandfather bought new in december 1964. He drove it for 36 years, to year 2000, when he quit driving, he was 81 years old. He had promised me this car, as this was the most important car to me when I was a child. My mother gave birth to me in 1978 and this was the first car i have ever travelled in, my father collected us home from the hospital with this. Somehow my grandfather had forgotten his promise, and I didnt have guts to ask him for it. One day when we went to visit my grandparents Volvo was gone. It was sold! I couldn´t believe my ears, how could he do this to me!? I had some parts bought for the car. I immediately called the guy who had bought it, but he refused to sell. Over the years, I called him few times, only to hear the same answer; "I wont sell".
Now, to the year 2013. My grandfather died in september, a day before he would have been 94 years. I started to memorize old days, and suddenly the idea was clear; I had to buy the old volvo back, no matter what.
I called the guy; "I won´t sell" OK, lets talk something else. I told him about the car, how important it was to me, and how my grandfather had promised it to me. Suddenly he started to ask my skills, and did I understand how difficult project this would be? He had started it, but it was left alone for 10 years. Floors and sills had been changed, but thats about it.
He said he would think about it. Next day he called me and said it was mine for the same price he paid for it, I tought it was fair. He said that he wasnt emotionally intached for it, and it was all the same if he had some other duett to work on, so with the same money he could get a duett skåpvagn and I can get the one and only I want.
This is how it had been last 10years:
Bild
It was towed out with old david-brown tractor, and pushed on to trailer. I had that chevrolet as my dailydriver then.
Bild
This is how the project started, I hauled it home 200 kilometres and only then I started to see what a I had bought.
Here it is in my own garage, at last, 13 years after I should have got it.
Bild
Senast redigerad av TUN-40 16 01 06, 5:28, redigerad totalt 2 gånger.
Real Volvos have chrome bumbers and inch size bolts!
TUN-40

Re: Duett 65 renoveringsobjekt

Inläggav TUN-40 » 16 01 06, 2:06

On the next day I got it running with a reserve gas can. My dad had done a complete rebuil for the engine late ´70s, it was still in good condition, even the antifreeze liquid was clear, no rust!
Bild
The original zenith carburettor was gone and replaced with a weber with ugly airfilter. Sold the weber and bought another B18 with a new zenith for only 100eur. I took it to parts and found out it was as new from everywhere, so put it back together with new seals and painted it. I also replaced the front and rear gaskets with a stefa-type lip-gasket, the front and rear covers were machined to accept B20E front stefa and volvo 240 rear stefa.
Bild

Bild
I still have the original engine, so maybe someday it will be back on the car, but for now it will be this engine.
Bild

At first the idea was to put it on the road again as quickly as possible, and I was not going to get the engine out, but then I found severe rust on the front crossmember, so had to drop the axle off and the engine had to come out. This is when "i lost control of the moped" as we say here in Finland, and I was going to do a full restoration for the car. This also meant that I was not ready for the expenses and it kind of dropped my interest for almost a year.
Bild
I came to conclusion that if I want to do it properly, I have to take the body off frame. At the rear it was also very much rust and old patches made poorly. Bild
TUN-40

Inläggav TUN-40 » 16 01 06, 2:22

So, body off.
Bild

Bild
At this point I rented other garage where I could weld the frame, and the body stayed in my own garage.
Bild

Bild
Bought some 2mm thick steel plate and started patching.

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Had to repair top hole for the steering box, it had fractures and somebody had welded a 3mm thick plate to support it
Bild

Bild

There were some rust to patch at the top of the frame too
Bild

Bild

Also started to patch the front crossmember
Bild

Bild
Senast redigerad av TUN-40 16 01 06, 2:35, redigerad totalt 1 gång.
TUN-40

Inläggav TUN-40 » 16 01 06, 2:33

And back to front crossmember, sorry for the poor quality of the pics, had something wrong with my phones camera

Bild

Bild

Bild

Now the frame is welded and is ready to sandblasting and painting. I also took all front axle to parts to get sandblasted at the same time. This is where we are at the moment. I will be adding some pics of the parts that I have already done, but now this is wher we are at the moment.
TUN-40

Inläggav pv-kille » 16 01 06, 4:59

Hi, nice to read, great story and fine work. I also have an E-model. Waitin for further pics and story, will be a superfine car. Greetings to Finland!
pv-kille

Inläggav TUN-40 » 16 01 06, 5:09

So, here are some of the parts that I have repaired already.
Front grill;
Bild
polished the frame and sanded the grill and painted it. I had maybe four or five of these and picked the best parts to work on.

Rear drums, I had few cars that were only for parts, took the drums off and all were bad, so had to buy new ones and install them to old hubs
Bild

gearbox crossmember new bush
Bild

Also righthand side front fender is patched and it has lead in the seams so maybe it will last few years. I want to buy new ones, but dont have the money for them yet. I also try to do as much I can myself to keep the costs low. Already I have spent thousands of euros for this car, but when it comes to sentimental things money doesnt count much.
Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Also the pedals have new bushings and are painted
Bild

Front section is welded
Bild

Bild

New master cylinder
Bild

I also have these long arm mirrors. I know these are not originals, but I have not found these mirrors anywhere, and they dont make these anymore new? If someone has original mirrors with long arms in good condition, I am interested of buying. I don need the mirrors necessarily, but the arms are in bad shape. If I cant find them I´ll have to use these, it will be the last job because I dont want to make big holes for fenders.
Bild

And thank you pv-kille! I will be adding pics and story when something new happens, I´ll ty to work with this every week! Next week I am going to take the frame to sandblasting, and to be painted, and start working with the body. I have read many project stories here and found out lots of ideas how to repair the back section!
TUN-40

Inläggav pv-kille » 16 01 06, 5:44

Hi again, great work! Please send me a PM with some pics of your fender mirror arms. I'm quite sure that I can restore them to at least very good result.
pv-kille

Inläggav TUN-40 » 16 01 06, 6:08

Ok, I will do that! I'll just have to dig them up. Thanks again!
TUN-40

Inläggav funpv » 16 01 06, 7:11

Hi Ville
Very interesting story. a little touching.....really :o
A lot of people have recollections in connection with old volvo.Pv was my first own car in 1987. Now when i am driving my new old PV I feel like a young man. As I see your Duett is for you just your little back to the past.....as for me :)

regards from Poland
Michal
funpv

Inläggav TUN-40 » 16 01 06, 7:28

Hi Michal!
Thanks for your kind words! I think everything in life happens for a reason. Maybe if I had had this in the year 2000 when I was 22, I wouldnt have all neccessary skills or the funds to work with this. So, I am glad I had the chance now when I am older and more experienced with old cars. This will be with our family forever.
TUN-40

Inläggav funpv » 16 01 06, 7:43

TUN-40 skrev: Maybe if I had had this in the year 2000 when I was 22, I wouldnt have all neccessary skills or the funds to work with this. So, I am glad I had the chance now when I am older and more experienced with old cars. This will be with our family forever.

Exactly as I thought in 2013,when I bought my second PV :D .Good luck in reconstruction and keep posting
funpv

Inläggav Mattias Lavett » 16 01 06, 8:34

Härlig med en Duett och en underbar historia, du ville träna på svenska så då skriver jag på svenska.
Lycka till med renoveringen & prova gärna några ord svenska när du skriver :-)
Medlem nr15416
http://www.garaget.org/farbrorbozze
Mina bilar är:
Chev 210 -55
Ford -32 5w hotrod
Volvo 145 68&70
Volvo PV444C-51
Volvo PV544A
Volvo Sport -56
Volvo Carina/Ockelbo 1967
Volvo 445A&D Lev.ch pickup
Volvo P210
Användarvisningsbild
Mattias Lavett

Inläggav TUN-40 » 16 01 06, 8:53

Hej! Och tack! Det är 19 år när jag senast har använda svenskt, i skolan! Men när du inte använda den, glömmer du hur det görs.. :lol:
TUN-40

Inläggav Mattias Lavett » 16 01 06, 9:18

TUN-40 skrev:Hej! Och tack! Det är 19 år när jag senast har använda svenskt, i skolan! Men när du inte använda den, glömmer du hur det görs.. :lol:

Tycker du gör det bra ändå, jag förstår allt du skriver även om inte är 100% rätt. "Det är 19år sedan jag senast använde svenska" skulle jag ha skrivit (Men det är inte säker jag kan heller trots att jag är svensk) :D
Det ni kallar "stefa-tätning" kallar vi "packbox"
Men det heter radialtätning.
Medlem nr15416
http://www.garaget.org/farbrorbozze
Mina bilar är:
Chev 210 -55
Ford -32 5w hotrod
Volvo 145 68&70
Volvo PV444C-51
Volvo PV544A
Volvo Sport -56
Volvo Carina/Ockelbo 1967
Volvo 445A&D Lev.ch pickup
Volvo P210
Användarvisningsbild
Mattias Lavett

Inläggav Stefan_B » 16 01 06, 9:30

Snyggt arbete! Att stöta på trista överraskningar som sänker humöret händer alla... Det som gäller är att komma igång igen, vilket du gjort utmärkt!
Och för övrigt använder vi ibland benämningen Stefa-tätning på jobbet, men Stefa var egentligen bara ett av många fabrikat på tätningarna.
Rost är naturens färg... synd att det tuggar sönder plåten.
Projekttråd: "Att reparera- en retroaktiv tråd om att hålla sig på spåret".
Stefan_B

Nästa

Återvänd till Projekt